Do you need assistance with a speeding ticket?

Have you been issued with a speeding ticket?

Contact us at Driving Offence Solicitor today to discuss the circumstances surrounding your ticket and what course of action we might be able to take.

The Road Traffic Regulation Act of 1984 states that convictions cannot be sought for speeding offences based on the assumption of one witness alone. In order to convict a driver of a speeding offence or issue a speeding fine, the Prosecution must have sufficient evidence. This evidence can be challenged by the accused.

The sanctions and punishments which are imposed on a driver for speeding are decided based on how fast the accused was reported to be travelling at. Standard sanctions are 3-to-6 penalty points and a maximum fine of £1000. You are likely to face disqualification if you are caught driving at 30mph or more over the speed limit.

A motorway speeding offence may be punishable with 3-to-6 penalty points and a maximum fine of up to £2500. Anyone who is caught travelling at 100mph or more on the motorway is likely to receive a full disqualification unless they are able to produce a strong defence or special reasons that show that a disqualification would impose disproportional hardship.

To be prosecuted for speeding, a driver must be notified of the intended prosecution by a Notice of Intended Prosecution (alternatively referred to as a speeding ticket) or through a verbal notification. The police should issue a verbal notification to drivers if they stop them for speeding at the time of the offence. The police should also issue the driver with a fixed penalty notice speeding ticket.

You must be notified of the intended prosecution within 14 days if you are not stopped at the point of the alleged offence. Alleged offenders are normally issued with a section 172 notice. You will be given the opportunity to respond to the intended prosecution within 28 days. This response may be an acceptance of the offence or you can choose to challenge the intended prosecution. If you do not respond to the notice, then the prosecution will go ahead regardless.


If you wish to challenge the speeding ticket, you should get in contact with a legal representative so that they can help you to build a case against the prosecution. There are many types of acceptable defence, and your legal representative will study your case to see if any can be applied. Many defendants are successfully acquitted and do not receive any sanctions.

Call us on 020 3634 9755