Are you a foreign driver charged with a driving offence in the UK?

If you’re a non UK driver charged with a driving offence in the UK speak with us today.

We’d be pleased to hear what you have to say and see what action that may be possible.

It is far more difficult for the Court to issue penalties for driving offences that were committed by persons who hold a foreign license. The Court cannot endorse foreign driving licences, therefore alternative sanctions may be issued.

Foreign drivers are normally summoned directly to the court. Records of any penalty points that should have been issued to a driver are kept by the DVLA. If that driver subsequently applies for a UK driver’s licence, the points may be applied retroactively.

Drivers with an EU drivers Licence

Most drivers with an EU drivers licence are allowed to drive in the United Kingdom. As long as the licence remains valid in the issuing country then the driver will be allowed to continue to drive in this country until they are 70, or until they have been a resident in the UK for three years (whichever is the longer period). After this, the driver must apply for a full GB license via the appropriate channels. These regulations may change after Britain leaves the EU, so it is essential that EU drivers stay aware of their rights and responsibilities.

Drivers from outside the EU

In order to drive in the UK, a driver must hold a full licence from their own country’s issuing authority. Driving licences from most countries are accepted in the first instance; however you will only be able to drive on a non-EEC licence for a maximum of 12 months. After the 12 months have expired, you will need to exchange your licence for a full GB licence. If you fail to exchange your licence and you continue to drive on UK roads, then you are committing the offence of driving without a valid licence. You may be given a fine or penalty points on any future GB licence that you hold if you are convicted of this offence.

In order to get a full GB licence from any country that is not included in the list below, you will be required to pass a full GB driving test. Before doing the test, you must apply for and receive a provisional licence in your own name.

Countries which are exempt from a re-test are:

  • Australia
  • Barbados
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Canada
  • Falkland Islands
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • The Republic of Korea
  • Singapore
  • South Africa
  • Switzerland
  • Zimbabwe

Vocational Drivers

Vocational drivers from any country are required to register within the United Kingdom within 12 months of arrival. Failure to register with the DVLA could lead to the driver committing a driving offence.

Call us on 020 3634 9755